SEGway home > for educators > solar system > about Comet's Tale > student questionnaire
Gender: M F grade ________age ________
The Comet's Tale
Note: The content questions are posed in both essay and multiple choice formats. Use either or a combination to suit your class level.
1. Where do comets come from?
a) inside Jupiter's orbit
2. What are comets made of?
a) dust and rock
3. What is the period of a comet?
a) the time it takes for the comet to travel once around the Sun
4. Whar is a short-period comet?
a) a comet whose orbit has been perturbed into a very flat ellipse
5.What is a long period comet?
a) one that stays outside the orbit of Pluto
6. What kind of period does Comet Halley have?
7. Where is the Sun within a comet's orbit
a) near the perihelion
8. What is a meteor?
a) a comet that enters the Earth's atmosphere
9. What is an asteroid?
a) a rocky left-over from the formation of the planets
10. What is the Alvarez Hypothesis?
a) an intrinsic gradualist theory of mass extinction
1. How would someone use the internet to learn about something?
2. When you use the internet to learn about something, do you usually find out
a) just what you wanted to know
3. What can you do to INCREASE the amount of information received?
4. What can you do to DECREASE the amount of information received?
5. What are some POSITIVE things about using the internet for research?
6. What are some NEGATIVE things about using the internet for research?
7. How is using the internet different from going to the library for research? (besides books instead of computers)
8. Would you use the internet for research on a different subject?
9. Which of the following do you use at home? (check all that apply)
video games ______ computer ______ Internet/Web browser ______
1. Would you like to learn more about comets?
2. What was one thing you learned that you didn't know before?
3. Would you like to learn more about Earth and Space science?
4. Did you tell anyone outside the class about the internet lesson? Who? What
did you say?