Surfing for Earthquakes and Volcanoes
by Patty Coe and
6 through 8
- Approx. 2-3 hours Prep Time and 5 40-minute periods
Class Time (depending on computer experience and knowledge of Earth Sciences)
Topics Covered by This Lesson: Surfing the Internet; Volcanoes; Earthquakes; Plate Tectonics
- Mapping skills, including latitude/longitude, scale and distance.
- Internet research skills.
- Knowledge of the theory of continental drift and plate boundary interactions.
- Brief Overview:
Students use the Internet to research data on earthquakes and volcanoes and plot locations to determine continental plate boundaries. Extensions include interpretation of interaction between plate boundaries, causes of earthquakes and volcanoes, and the comparison of the formation of Olympus Mons on Mars and the Hawaiian volcanic chain.
- Unit Features:
This lesson contains tailored worksheets and uses unique Internet images
Go To The Lesson Plan Content
- Computer with access to WWW and printer.
- Worksheets (Masters included)
(Last Update: October 19, 2001)
Mail comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
©1995-2001 The Regents of the University