What's Your Sign? The Science Behind The Zodiac
by Beth Napier
- Grade Level: 6th - 12th
- Students must have an understanding of Earth's rotation as the cause of day and night.
- Students must understand Earth's revolution as our measure of a year.
This lesson will help students understand concepts dealing with
the motions of celestial objects, the ancient origins of the
Zodiac and a modern understanding of the science behind the
- The students will be able to describe what is meant by the Plane of the
- The students will be able to recognize and identify the constellations of the Zodiac.
- The students will be able to explain why the zodiacal constellation
"occupied" by the Sun is not visible in the sky.
- The students will be able to explain why the location of the Sun in the
traditional astrological signs does not match the observable position of the Sun in the sky.
Tied to the California Science Framework:
- PATTERNS of CHANGE and STABILITY
- SYSTEMS and INTERACTIONS
More Details On This Lesson:
For related Lesson Plans, refer to:
(Last Update: Nov 10, 1995 )
Return to Teacher-Developed Earth and Space Science Lessons
Mail comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
All text, images, and other resources in this
page are Copyright © 1995, The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
For permission, email email@example.com.
Return to the CEA Science Education Home Page