An Interactive Lesson on the Hubble System of Classifying Galaxies
& Jane Hastings
- Grade Levels: 5 - 9
- Time Requirements:
- Preparation Time for teacher: 2 hours
- explore lesson online ahead of time
- save online worksheets to your computer and print hard copies for
- Class Time Required: two class periods
- Student Prerequisites: fifth grade reading level
- Topics Covered by This Lesson:
- What is a galaxy?
- Hubble classification of galaxies
- Practice in using Hubble classification system as an example of
how scientists classify objects in nature.
- Brief Overview:
- Students will observe examples of galaxies that have different shapes.
- Students will observe how the galaxy classification system of Edwin Hubble assigns
galaxies to different groups according to their shapes .
- Students will attempt to categorize unknown galaxies according to the Hubble
- Unit Features:
- Teacher Lesson Plan
- Worksheets and answer keys which can be printed for classroom/teacher use
- Images from telescopes all over the world show the vast variety of galaxies.
- Interactive classification practice with galaxy images.
- Hotlinks to other useful astronomy websites.
- Materials Required For This Lesson: All
materials provided on-line.
Last update July 25, 2001