home > for educators
Sunspots >history worksheet
The Dawn of Sun Science
- Among the Inca, Maya and Aztec cultures, which one
do you think had observed sunspots? What is the evidence?
- Why did most ancient cultures revere the
Sun as a god?
- Who made the oldest known Eurasian records of the surface of the
- Why did the idea of "blemishes or spots" on the sun puzzle the Europeans of the 17th century?
- What kind of radiation from the Sun can severely burn your eyes
and permanently damage your eyesight?
- Why is the year 1608 important for astronomy?
- Why did Galileo conclude that the sunspots must be on the surface of the
- Who argued that the "spots" must be planets or moons orbiting the
- Why did Galileo spent the last 8 years of
his life under house arrest?
© 2001 Regents of the University of California.