SEGway home > for
educators > solar system
>about Take A Spin > student
"Finding the Rotation Rates of the Sun and Planets"
Fill in the period of rotation for the following objects of the solar system:
Fill in the rotation rates of:
Think and explain:
- What procedures did you use to find the rotation rates?
- Was there any pattern to the rotation? Distance vs. Spin? Size vs. Spin?
Was there any pattern to the direction of spins?
- If you were a famous Martian astronomer looking at Earth, how would you
figure out Earth's
- Is the angular velocity the same everywhere on the planet?
Is the tangential velocity of a planet the same everywhere on the planet?
Is this true for all planets?
- About what time in history did we discover that planets and the Sun rotated?
When did most people start believing that the planets and the Sun rotated?
- Start a journal of Moon observations. See if you can figure out the Moon's
rotation rate and its period of rotation.
Go to Vocabulary Page
Copyright © 1995, The Regents of the University of California.