Adapting "The Sun - A Pictorial Introduction" to middle and high
This is a cooperative group lesson that is appropriate for grades 8-12
This lesson assumes you have the use of a computer lab, and also a suitable
method of projecting the
slides for viewing by an entire class (a large TV connected to a computer,
or computer projection system will work). This may be done with a direct
Internet connection, or, if more convenient, by downloading each image ahead of
time and saving them on a hard drive. It's also very helpful to bookmark
the URL (WWW address) for this site on each
student computer before starting the lesson.
- Divide the class into groups of 2-4 students.
- Assign one picture from the slide
show to each group (groups who finish early can be given any extra,
- Each group is to "translate" the text for their slide into
language that their peers will understand. Have dictionaries available
for the students to look up difficult words, and if any teachers or
teacher's aides are available, they should assist groups with this task.
- Once students have their text written, then the groups should prepare
themselves to present to the class, making sure that the presenters
understand the meaning and significance of the slide they are presenting.
- On a subsequent day, show the slide show to the entire class, with each
group presenting their portion and answering peer questions.