- The Final Exam will be on Thursday, December 9th, 1999 from 12:30 - 3:30pm in room 102 in the Moffitt library. Bring a blue book, pencils, and a calculator. No Notes.
- Andrew will hold a review session on Monday, December 6th, at 12pm. Meet at his office.
- Bryan will hold a review session on Tuseday, December 7th, at 4pm in 643 Campbell. Come with questions written on a sheet of paper.
- By now you should have read Chapter 15 of Shu. You should finish reading the reader for next week. Also read Chapter 2 of Shu and Chapter 9 of Zeilik and Gregory (on closed reserve in Moffit).
- Sections will not meet on Wednesday the 24th due to the large number of people travelling for the Thanksgiving Holiday. We'll see you next Monday.
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Problem #1 in homework set #6 will be entirely for extra credit. #2 is the important one.
- Reading assignments for latest material: Chapters 12-14 of Shu and Reader articles 6-8, and 10-13.
- Homework Set #6 is now available and Due on November 11th.
- Homework Set #5 is now available. It is due Oct. 28th. HW set #6 will not be assigned until next week.
- Homework Set #5 Will be available on Monday, Oct. 18th. It will be due on Thursday, Oct. 28th. Homework #6 will be available on Thursday Oct. 21st and will also be due on Thursday, Oct. 28th. So it is in your best interest to start HW #5 as soon as it becomes available and likewise for HW #6.
- New lectures notes will be placed in Moffit on Monday also.
- Reading assignment for the next unit in the Syllabus, Galactic Dynamics, is Shu Chapters 12 and 18, and articles 6 through 8 in the reader. Use your time away from homework to get some reading done.
- Reading assignment for the week is Shu Chapter 9. Skim over the stellar evolution stuff and concentrate on the gravitational dynamics.
- For the Midterm: Bring a blue book, the test is closed book and closed notes, you should however bring a calculator, the test consists of some short essay questions (qualitative) and some simple problems (quantitative), the test will last 75 minutes starting promptly at 2:10pm.
- Pick up graded homework set #3 on Friday afternoon from either the GSIs or Andrew. Also stop by our offices if you didn't get a copy of the solutions to the first three homeworks.
- You should try and have most of homework set 4 completed by the midterm as material in that homework is considered fair game for the midterm. Note that there are typos in Shu problem 10.1 on page 183. The first is in Figure P10.1b, the velocities are labeled incorrectly; the velocty of star 2 should be Omega*r2 and vice versa. Also, the first of the set of three equations you are asked to show is incorrect, it should read
r = [(K1 + K2)/(Omega*sin(i))].
- Homework #4 is up, however the lecture notes are not yet available they will be taken there on Monday. The first problem is out of Shu however, so you can start that one without the notes. In fact all of the questions are similar to those in Shu. For instance, the 2-body problem is in Chapter 18.
- The Midterm for this class will be October 5th in class, it will cover all the material through Binary Stars.
- Reading asssignments for this week are Reader article #5 and chapter 10 of Shu.
- Reading assignment for next week: dynamics of star clusters, pp 174-178 of Shu.
- Reading assignment for the week was article #5 in the Reader and pg. 134 in Shu's text.
- Please note that Bryan's Wednesday office hours have changed. They will now be from 1-2pm instead of 12-1pm.
- The Reader is now available for $26.96 at Copy Central on Bancroft. Reading assignment from the Reader for next week is articles 1, 2, 3, and 4.
- The reading assignment in the Shu's text is chapters 3, 10, 12, & 18. Not all sections of the chapters are relevant to lecture, you need only read those that are, however, if you have the time you should go ahead and read all of the assigned chapters. The important sections in chapter 3 are those about special relativity.
- There will be a star party on Tuesday, September 7th on the roof of Campbell Hall. We will start at 11pm. If it is cloudy we will postpone it to another time.
- A Reader for the course will be available at Copy Central on Bancroft St. also on Tuesday the 7th. It contains up to date articles on topics now out of date in Shu's text.
- The reading assignment in Shu's text was chapters 1 and 2 and the section in chapter 18 pertaining to Kepler's and Netwon's Laws.
Back to Main