Wednesday June 28th, 2000
- Final Exam on Thursday in class (10AM - 12PM). Bring #2 pencils and SCANTRON form 880 (green sheet)
- Class Projects due on Friday by 5pm.
- If you want your final grades email me.
- Please fill out feedback form on website in addition to the evaluations handed out in class
Monday June 12th, 2000
- Midterm Today!. Be sure to bring a #2 pencil. The exam is closed book and closed notes, but you may bring a calculator.
- We WILL be having class Monday afternoon. We'll begin to discuss the stars.
- Homework #3 is due on Wednesday at the beginning of class. Please do not interupt class by arriving late and handing in your homework late.
- The 2nd set of class project are due on Friday by 5pm. If you cannot make it to campus that day you may email them to me. However, if you do this please send me your assignment in text format (*.txt) rather than a Word document (*.doc). Remember that you must turn in at least 2 projects on this day. You are welcome to turn in more if you want. Those that did not turn in 2 on the first date (June 2nd), be aware that I WILL NOT grade more than 3 projects that are turned into me on the final due date (June 30th).
Monday June 5th, 2000
- Office Hours: I have decided to make a change in my office hours. I will no longer have Office Hours on Wednesday. Instead I will hold them on On Tuesdays 2:30-3:30PM in my office, or in room 501 Campbell if there are many people. I will continue to hold office hours on Fridays from 2-3PM, and as always you are welcome to to make an appointment to meet with me at any other time.
- The weather is looking more grim this week, and there it is no longer possible to do the "viewing celestial object through a telescope lab" for credit. Thus, I do not believe that I will hold any star parties this week. I will try for some next week. The moon will be nice and pretty then.
- Those of you who did not turn in at least 2 class projects on Friday June 2nd, please come see me. The description of the class projects specfically states that you must turn in at least 2 project on each due date.
- If you have not emailed me with the requested information from below (Monday, May 22nd) please do so right now. Thank You.
Wednesday, May 31st, 2000
- Homework Set #2 will be available this afternoon
- Homework Set #1 Solutions will also be available at that time
- I have decided to increase the point value of 3 of the class projects: The Sidereal Day Lab (20 points), The Moon Lab (30 points), and the Sun Lab (30 points)
- My Office hours for Wednesday this week are cancelled since I held them on Tuesday this week. I will still have office hours at my normal time (2-3pm) on Friday and will resume my normal schedule next week.
- Star Parties on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night (9-10PM)
- First set of Class Projects are due on Friday by 5PM
- If you have not done so, please send me the info requested on May 22nd, below.
Wednesday, May 24th, 2000
- I have decided to have office hours twice a week. First on Wednesdays from 3-4PM and then on Fridays 2-3PM. If you cannot make these times you may make an appointment to see me.
- The Weather Forecasts say that there is now a chance of it being clear tonight. With that being the case I will attempt to have a star party again tonight. If the weather in Berkeley is clear at 7:30pm then I will come in to school to do one. If it is foggy/cloudy at 7:30pm then I will cancel it. If it is clear then show up around 8:10PM on the steps of Campbell Hall. Then we can go up and see the sunset.
Monday, May 22nd, 2000
- Please send me an email with the following information...
Student ID number:
phone number (optional):
What are the highest levels of science and math courses that you have taken, either at college or in high school, and how long ago was that?
Reason for taking this course:
- If you would be interested in taking a trip to Mount Hamilton for a tour of Lick Observatory, please let me know as soon as possible. Indicate when would be a good time in the next 6-weeks, and if you would be able to drive.
- I will plan to have at least 3 star parties this week on the roof of Campbell Hall: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night starting at sunset (~8:15 PM) and ending around 10:00 PM. This would be a good chance to get a start on some of your class projects. Show up at around 8:10 PM at the steps of Campbell Hall and I'll come down to let you in. If you wish to come later we'll send someone down to check the door in 20 minute increments or so.
Back to Main Page