home > for educators
Sunspots >research worksheet
Solar Scientist: ______________________________________
- Why are sunspots cooler than the surrounding solar
- Describe the umbra and penumbra of a sunspot and
tell what makes each part a different color.
- How long does it take a photon to migrate from the
Sunís core to its surface, and why?
- Where is 99.8% of the solar systemís mass, and what
two elements is it made of (mostly)?
- Draw a diagram of the Sunís interior, labeling
five major zones. What is happening in each?
- What happens in the convection zone and
- What is the sunspot cycle? How long is it? What happens?
- What role do sunspots play in solar flares and
coronal mass ejections (CME's)?
- How can geomagnetic storms affect satellites
and communications on Earth?
- Might sunspot activity affect the earthís
climate? What are your reasons for the answer you gave?
©Copyright 2001 Regents of the University of California.