Gender: M F grade
The Light Tour
1. How does light travel?
a) as a wave
b) instantaneously from one place to another
c) with no outside influence, in curved and straight lines
d) out from your eyes so you can see things
2. The speed that light travels can be affected by
a) a strong magnetic field
b) the various materials it passes through
c) nothing - it is always the same
3. What is a wavelength?
a) the time it takes for light to travel from an object to our eyes
b) the distance from the crest to the trough in a wave
c) the distance from one crest to the next crest in a wave
d) the amount of time for a wave to pass a given point
4. What does the wavelength of a light wave tell us?
5. Which of the following list of waves is in order from shortest to longest?
a) x-ray, visible, radio
b) microwave, ultraviolet, gamma ray
c) ultraviolet, x-ray, infrared
d) infrared, visible, ultraviolet
6. What does an angstrom measure?
7. How big is an angstrom? The abbreviation "cm" is short for centimeter,
1 cm = 1/100 of a meter.
a) 0.00000001 (1 ten-millionth) cm
b) 0.000001 (1 millionth) cm
c) 10,000,000 (10 million ) cm
d) 1,000,000 (1 million) cm
8. Match the range of wavelength with the type of light. "w" is the
wavelength in angstroms.
1. 100,000,000,000,000 > w > 1,000,000,000 a) gamma
( from 100 trillion to 1 billion)
2. 1,000,000,000 > w > 1,000,000
(from 1 billion to 1 million)
3. 10,000,000 > w > 10,000
(from 10 million to 10 thousand)
4. 7,000 > w > 4,000
5. 4,000 > w > 100
6. 100 > w > 0.0000001
(from 100 to 1 ten-millionth)
7. 0.1 > w > 0.0000000001
(from 1 tenth to 1 billionth)
9. How many types of light can a star in space produce?
a) It can produce several kinds of light
b) Only one, but it can be more than one color
c) Never more than two
d) Only one
10. Which type of light penetrates the Earth's atmosphere?
The Regents of the University of California.
Have a science question? Visit our Ask an
Expert page. Email questions or comments about SEGway resources